Little Red Riding Pam and Lucy, Too

A big lot of toddler dolls from the 1950s

I meant to finish this post last night but it just got too late and I had too  much to do. EBay is having a sale on free auction listings that ends tonight. I'm out of my free listings for the month so I'm working as hard as I can to get as much listed as possible by midnight.

Fortune's Pam doll

Virga's Lucy doll

Besides the little Ginger doll from my last post, I finished a sweet Pam and a cute little Lucy yesterday. Pam and Lucy are nearly identical twin Ginny clones. Neither are marked, and it can be quite hard to tell them apart. 

Lucy was made by the Virga doll company, as a Ginny-type toddler doll and also as a doll called "Lollipop", who had colored hair like green or violet and wore fairytale, ballerina type costumes. Lucy was also made as a series of ethnic dolls, such as American Indian or Hawaiian Hula girls, and those are worth a great deal more than the regular Lucys. I have one of the Native American Lucys in my store right now, so be sure to check. 

Pam, as far as I know, was mostly just made as a Ginny-type toddler. I saw a Hula Girl years ago who was called Pam, but I don't if the identification was accurate. I know you could buy Pam at stores, but she also sometimes could be purchased as a premium with Fab detergent labels.

Pam


Lucy



When you first start looking at these toddler dolls it can be very difficult to tell them apart. I've read before that Ginny dolls were always marked, but Ginger, Pam, and Lucy dolls were never marked. It seems like Muffie dolls were always marked.


Pam has peg-shaped arm hooks.

Lucy's arm hooks are C-shaped.

Pam and Lucy have the Ginny face and look just alike at first glance. You can see the difference in their arm hooks and fingers. I read another blog that had this great tip: Lucy has C-shaped arms hooks, so think "Lu-C". Pam has peg-shaped arm hooks, so think "P for Pam and peg". Lucy mostly has her third and fourth fingers fused together, but Pam has separate fingers. Pam dolls also often have arms made of a different, softer plastic than their bodies and the arms tend to lighten over time, so you will often see them with lighter arms than their bodies.

Lucy, dressed in a vintage ensemble.





Using this method I was able to identify the doll in the blue dress as Lucy and the doll dressed as Red Riding Hood as Pam. Lucy retains the remnant of a blue flower stapled into her wig, so I dressed her in a blue floral print dress from the big lot of Ginny and Terri Lee clothing I bought recently. The dress is not tagged but it is very nicely made. Lucy has a faint pink streak in her hair near her flower and very nice, high-color cheeks with only a little unevenness from rubs in the paint. These are usually called "fever cheeks" in toddler doll parlance.


Pam, after cleaning and dressing.

Pam had such unusual coloring she really stood out to me as a doll who should have a special costume. Her mohair wig is platinum blond and very smooth and shiny. I brushed the dust out of it and was able to style it back into its flip with my fingers. I cleaned Pam and re-strung her arms and that was all the work she needed.



I found a very nice un-tagged dress in the doll clothes lot. It's one of the nicest small doll dresses I've seen. It's printed all over with a Scandinavian-looking print. The same lot had a very pretty and new-looking knitted red cape marked "Ginny" on a hand-written tag. Later, I found this is a 1930s Vogue piece for the Just Me 9 inch doll. It lost its ribbon closure, so I added a new one at the neck and gave Pam the cape. The cape is incredibly well-preserved! I also gave her red shoes from that lot marked "Ginny" on the soles. She's turned out to be one of my favorites of the dolls I've finished! She goes well with the fairy tale themed Madame Alexanders I've been restoring lately, but at a more affordable price point. Her small size makes her easy to display as well.


Pam in her costume.







Please check my store for these and many other dolls (they make great Mother's Day gifts). I'm also starting to list Father's Day presents as well: http://stores.ebay.com/atelier-mandaline.

The cape belongs to this 1930s Vogue Just Me doll.

Comments

Popular Posts