How to Re-Wig a doll

The doll and wig are prepared.

The wig is turned inside-out and rolled onto the head.

The doll has a new wig!
The number one rule of North Carolina weather is that it is either 100 degrees or raining (or both) for most of the summer. As the past three days have been rainy and relatively cool, with temperatures "only" in the upper 80s or low 90s, I have been working in the jungle we call a yard and not creating much of anything or blogging. I have accomplished a lot, though. I got the vegetable beds weeded, sprayed, and fertilized. I removed a ton of honeysuckle and other brush from the yard, pruned the roses and trees, and cleaned out the clogged pond pump. We will be enjoying the fruits of my labors soon. We already have several tomatoes ripening on the vine, as well as a tiny pepper, and some minuscule cucumbers. It looks like the peach and apple trees will both have a prolific harvest as well. The gardenia and lilies are also blooming or close to blooming and are already starting to scent the summer air.

I was able to continue with the Mandy restoration I mentioned earlier. This is the second to last of my distressed My Friend Mandys I bought last year, and in almost the worst condition. Her hair had been cut to the head in the front and was not reparable. Her cloth body has several holes, which I plan to treat with Fray Check and then cover with sewn-on undergarments. She has some rubbing of her face paint as well, but it is minor enough that I plan to leave it. I did re-wig the doll, however, and am showing that step by step.

First, remove as much hair as possible from the doll's head with scissors or a shaver, such as a neck trimmer. Then measure your doll for a wig by wrapping a tape measure around the head just above the eyebrows. This measurement will be the size of the wig needed, either in inches or centimeters depending on the supplier. You will need to check your supplier's instructions for determining the size. My Friend and Sasha dolls typically wear size 8/9 or 9/10. If the wig is too small when it arrives you can cheat a little by making small cuts in the edges of the wig cap and pulling it apart slightly before gluing to make it a little bigger. The cuts are hidden by the hair. You can also take in the wig by putting a small dart or two in the wig cap so it is smaller.

When the doll's hair is removed and the wig is prepared you can apply glue to either the head or the inside of the wig cap. Here, I used Aleene's Tacky Glue, which I prefer because it tends to drip less. I applied the glue to the doll's head. Then I turned the wig inside out and carefully rolled it onto the head. This helps keep the glue from getting in the hair. When you have positioned the wig you may readjust if needed by pulling the hair a bit to slide it into place. Then wipe any excess glue away with a wet paper towel.

Allow the glue to dry for 24 hours before styling the hair or allowing a child to play with the doll. Now that I'm so close to the end of my box of Mandys I will have to get some more distressed dolls!

Comments

Popular Posts