Revlon Doll Stringing



 Right now I’m restoring a vintage VT-18 Revlon doll. These dolls have a metal rod that extends from the head to the groin. The head is attached to the rod with a screw. Below that a large spring reaches the waist. The rod runs through a bell-shaped metal washer in the groin and is held on with another screw. Because of this sturdy construction you rarely find these in need of restringing. However, somehow the little mommy who owned my Revlon managed to rip her apart. It appears all her pieces are included but there’s no way to get them out of her body to re-assemble them.

I talk all the time about how doll repair involves a great deal of improvisation. Many vintage dolls have parts that are no longer available. This was a case in which I had to make up a repair. I attached a stringing hook to the top of the spring, as close to the neck as possible. Then I drew elastic cord through that down to the pelvis. I made a stringing bar from wire I inserted in the pelvis opening and strung the cord to that. Then I pulled as tight as possible and knotted it. The repair worked and Revlon has a twist and turn waist again! It is looser and actually more poseable than the original. This doll will be available from my shops soon, so keep watching!

Comments

Popular Posts