Introductions



I've been re-branding Atelier Mandaline. It's been 15 years since I designed my logo and packaging and my business has evolved. Back then, I only sold girl's clothes and dolls on eBay and I didn't even have a storefront. Now I have eight shops and a doll hospital and I've become an author. My customer base has become more diverse since I started selling men's fashion. My new logo reflects my increasing focus on doll eyes and supplies and my previous pink and white color scheme has become more neutral to appeal to all my clients. I am still using the handmade unicorn tags created by my kids because they're just so cute and I do still sell a lot of dolls and girly stuff.

My re-design has not yet reached my web presence; I still need to update my website, blog, and store logos. Rest assured, I will get those done as I can. I did change my logo on my newsletter and immediately got an Abuse report to Mail Chimp. Evidently, someone didn't recognize me! I never subscribe anyone to my newsletter unless they request it because I hate when I buy something and end up with a ton of spam. I would not do that to someone else! So please pay attention to my Atelier Mandaline name, not my logo. The new logo is the one shown above. It's still me, just with a new look!



One of the reasons I'm not completely done with my re-brand is because I've been working on my third book, Atelier Mandaline Presents Art Dolls, second in the Atelier Mandaline Presents doll series. This latest book focuses on making one-of-a-kind dolls using pre-made dolls, like Barbie, American Girl, Blythe, and now, Pullip.

For literally as long as I can remember, I've wanted to make my own dolls. As a teenager I made rag dolls, but I really wanted to learn to sculpt dolls. I started sculpting them from clay and polymer medium, but because I didn't have a kiln they were extremely fragile and not long-lived, and they weren't professional-looking. 

Over the past couple decades I've learned to make unique dolls without having to manufacture them. I found I can completely re-design commercial dolls by replacing their eyes, wigs, and re-sculpting and re-painting them. My custom dolls sell for hundreds of dollars each. Making art dolls is a huge trend right now and it's a perfect work-from-home career during the pandemic. I decided to share my tips so you can learn to create your own dolls.

I already covered Blythe and American Girl art dolls in past blog posts, and I added a historical doll section to help you create accurate vintage and antique art dolls. I still wanted to learn how to make a custom Pullip doll so I could show that to you.

Pullip dolls are "big eyes" dolls made by Jun Planning, similar to Blythe in that they have convertible eyes. While Blythe has color changing eyes, Pullip dolls have moving eyes. Pullip dolls can wink, sleep, and look from side to side. They use eye chips a little smaller than Blythe's. The eyes don't change color but you can customize the eye chips. Pullip dolls come with a ball-jointed body. Jun Planning makes finished Pullip dolls but they also sell a kit with a blank doll ready to be customized. I ordered one of those kits two years ago and finally got around to finishing it. Allow me to introduce "Autumn", my new custom Pullip.

Autumn has custom-painted shimmering hazel-green eyes and a red curly wig. She's painted with a peaches and cream complexion, freckles galore, and metallic copper eyeshadow and blush. Her wig is attached with silicone adhesive in front. leaving the back open so you can easily reach the buttons and lever to manipulate her eye mechanism.

Autumn wears a vintage hand-crocheted dress with organdy slip. Her slip can be worn as a babydoll dress. Autumn's coin head band can be worn as a necklace. Autumn is for sale in my shops, and she will also be featured in Art Dolls so you can learn to create your own Pullip doll. You can link to all my shops from my website to purchase her from your favorite site.
 




















Comments

Popular Posts