Mother to Mother Part 2


1930's Shirley Temple

As I mentioned in my last post, I had a client drive from Tennessee with her mother's 1930's Shirley Temple doll so I could restore it. As always, she told me there was no hurry and then sent a message a week later wanting to know if she could come pick up the doll! That's okay, though, because I was prepared. Every doll restoration I ever do is like that, so I got started right away.


Sculpting Epoxy Repairs




Shirley needed epoxy repairs to a crotch split and a large hole in her side. She was also missing a fingertip and the tips of her toes. Her eyes were shattered and she had all over crazing as well.







When the epoxy was dry I sanded and painted the repairs. I use oil paint for the painting, so I left the body to dry while I worked on the eyes.


Repairing the eyes

The finished eyes


As you might remember from my eye repair tutorial, I use a layering process of my own invention with oil paints, metallic markers, gloss medium, and stained glass paints.


The finished eye repair

Once the eyes were finished the body was ready for crazing repair. A couple days after that I applied the sealant and the doll was ready to go, just in time!

The finished repairs






My client originally planned to re-string Shirley herself, but when she got to my house she asked if I could do it. Since she has bought several kits from my store and hired me to restore more than one doll, I obliged. My client also gave me a doll she didn't want! It's a good relationship!


The restored body


Shirley in her original dress

My client's next doll is a Petite Sally by American Character from 1931. This are my favorite kind of repairs; my client remembers her mother talking about this doll all the time. It will be a pleasure to restore her to herself!

American Character Petite Sally

I got another mother-themed lot last week. I ordered a case with some small dolls and clothing because I spotted a rare Nancy Ann Lori Ann doll in the lot. When the case arrived I realized the true treasure in the case was a set of big and little sister outfits, amazingly handmade by some long ago mommy who happened to be an incredible seamstress. Each tiny garment is adorned with hand embroidery, drawn thread work, pin tucks, and there are even minute hand knits! The outfits were made for a dime store set of sister dolls, but I realized they fit the Nancy Ann sister dolls of the 1950s. I don't have a set of those, but I did have a Nancy Ann 5.5 inch bisque doll and a 3.5 inch baby. The clothes are a tiny bit big but were easy to refit for a unique sister set. Look for that post coming soon!


Handmade doll clothes

Comments

Popular Posts