Wendy's Wish Come True


Wendy-Kins from the 1950s with a Shackman baby and cradle

If you've been watching my store you've no doubt noticed and influx of souvenir dolls recently. Many of the lots I've purchased to get a different doll contained a healthy dose of those. I've done well with them this year, so I'm happy to get them. As so often happens, I purchased this lot for a particular doll but found a different doll is more rare. I was thrilled to win the lot with these dolls because I saw the Wendy-Kins in pieces and recognized her as a 1950s bent knee walker. I could tell she was a walker because the walker mechanism was partly outside her body. Thankfully the seller was conscientious enough to retain it, as it's a tiny piece. I also saw the cradle, black with rosemaling-type painting, and that immediately appealed to me. My grandmother's kitchen chairs looked something like that.

When I got the doll lot, however, I found a truly rare group: two miniature 5-inch black dolls with open mouth, side glancing faces, a bit like Pee Wee dolls, and a larger black Dress Me doll with a pretty crocheted dress. Ethnic dolls were quite rare in the 1950s and they are worth a lot now. I can tell these are 50s to early 60s dolls because the small ones are marked "Japan". Another recent lot had a Liddle Kiddles doll or maybe a copy called "Miss Africa" with a grass skirt still intact and a little Hawaiian or Native American boy. So, my recent purchases have paid me in more ways than one; I got some really unusual dolls and also got to put a sweet little set together.


A 1950s bent-knee walker Wendy-Kins

Her wig is dark red.

The ALEX mark


Wendy-Kins is a really nice example of a late 1950s Alexander-Kins. She needed cleaning and re-stringing and I also styled her hair and refreshed her lip and cheek paint. She cleaned up easily and looks really good. I repaired tiny splits starting in her upper and lower hip sockets. These are visible only when the leg is off, as it was when I got her. Since she had the splits starting I strung her as loose as possible while still making sure her walker works. Wendy's wig is a pretty and unusual dark auburn and has the vintage triple stitching.


A German Shackman baby still in its box.

The baby is jointed and fully clothed.
Also in the lot with Wendy was this adorable Shackman baby. These were made in Germany and I just adore them. They are only about two inches long and yet are fully jointed and clothed with real clothes. This one was still in its original box! I decided this baby must of course be Wendy's baby sibling. My own children are constantly begging for a baby brother or sister, so I have it on my mind. We can't have any more children, however, and I haven't been able to make a decision about whether to adopt domestically or internationally. Whenever I think I've made up my mind I change it again. So for now they will have to live vicariously thorough Wendy.


Wendy wears Ginny panties and Muffie shoes.

Vogue dress #1210 of 1959
The Vogue snap


The Vogue tag

I gave Wendy a hair ribbon.

I went through my doll clothing stash and came up with a pair of tricot panties which I'm almost certain are late 1950s Vogue, made for Ginny. I took them in a bit in the waist for Wendy. Then I found a pair of Muffie shoes with the half-circle on the soles, and made a pair of replacement socks. Then I found an adorable Vogue tagged nautical dress. This is sometimes called #1410 and sometimes #1210 in my Vogue book. It looks classic and just too sweet on Wendy. I gave her a hair ribbon to wear with the dress. Once Wendy was dressed she was all ready to act out her story.


I made the blanket from vintage flannel.


Wendy's been wishing for years for a baby brother or sister and finally her dream has come true! Wendy is the best big sister ever. She loves rocking Baby, wrapping Baby in her tiny flannel blanket, cuddling Baby.


I made the bottle from a Christmas light bulb.

Wendy can even feed Baby her bottle. "You're such a big helper, Wendy-Kins," says Mother. "I don't know what I'd do without you!"

Baby's bottle is made from a Christmas light bulb so it's real glass and not for a young child to play with. I tied a loop from vintage ribbon around it so Wendy can hold it.

The cradle is probably also by Shackman.

Wendy feeds Baby and rocks her until she's almost asleep. Then Wendy puts Baby down in her real wood vintage cradle. This is probably a Shackman piece but it isn't marked. Baby falls right to sleep when Wendy sings a lullaby.

Wherever they go Wendy and Baby cause a stir. Everyone has to come congratulate Mother on her lovely family. You can buy Wendy, Baby, and everything shown here in my store, so please check: http://stores.ebay.com/atelier-mandaline.



Comments

Popular Posts