The Georgia Collection


Thank goodness for fulfillment services! I am down with COVID for the second time in six months, so I haven't been adding anything new to my shops. Luckily, the amazing people at Le Galeriste have been busy creating my latest collection of wearable art: the Georgia collection. 

"Georgia" is, in my opinion, my worst painting ever. It was commissioned when I was in college by one of my professors, who wanted a huge painting in the style of Georgia O'Keefe to match her sofa. Just FYI, never ask an artist to recreate another artist's work or style. Even if it isn't  direct plagiarism it's unethical and just plain rude. Nowadays I would never take a commission like this but I was a new artist back then and hungry for work, and my own style was still very much in progress. So I painted this monstrosity and hated it and never delivered it or collected my money for it. It's just too awful. The only reason I kept it is my friend Matthew helped me build the frame and prepare the canvas. He was an exchange student from Britain and was trained to create canvasses in the classical style, with rabbit skin glue for the sizing. This was an incredibly expensive canvas to make and nicer than any of my others, so I have been holding onto it for 30 years thinking I would paint over it.

I recently dug it out of storage because it's the size I need for a seascape I am planning to go in my new office. I decided to photograph it before it disappears. It's funny but certain people think this is my best work (people with tin eyes in my opinion, but to each his own I suppose). It occurred to me the abstract pattern might work for fabric, and sure enough, it turned out beautifully as clothing!

So far I have women's regular and plus size clothing, including activewear available in the Georgia print. I am still adding artwork to my Le Galeriste shop. I can only add three pieces of art at a time and then I can only get 10 pieces made with each print, so it takes about a week to add new pieces. When I am finished adding art for the time being I am going to make a Home collection. I have future plans for a men's line as well. If you see a piece you want but don't see it in the artwork you desire please contact me and I will have it produced for you.

My future business plan is to ultimately send all my offerings to fulfillment centers. That will be insurance against COVID and other illnesses, frequent travel, and will free up more space in my home. Right now inventory is absolutely everywhere. I need to weed out my less expensive things in order to get that done, since fulfillment for eBay starts at around $9 per piece and goes up from there. Instead of raising prices I want to just concentrate on my more valuable offerings. You can link to all my shops from my website to purchase; feel free to make me an offer!

Comments

Popular Posts