|My copy of Cissy's capelet|
|Capelet #2141, Original of 1957|
I started the design process by reviewing the photos and draping pieces of notebook paper to make a pattern. I folded and cut the paper to get the shape I wanted, then added seam allowance.
|I made the pattern by draping with paper.|
After I was happy with my pattern I looked in my fabric stash to see if I had any material that could work. It's always best to avoid new fabrics to create replica, especially for an accessory like this that needs to go with an old piece such as the blue #2141 dress. A vintage curtain seemed to be the perfect thing so I used that.
|I used a vintage curtain to make the capelet.|
The original capelet is made of organdy, and that's stiffer than my curtain, so I ironed some starch into the fabric to stiffen it up. Please ignore my disreputable ironing board. Obviously I need to replace the cover. After I took this photo I thought about it and decided the current cover, which in my mind I think of as the "new" cover, is at least 15 years old!
|I starched the pieces.|
|The replica capelet from several angles|
|The capelet's new owner|